Dear Koichiro,

Nice that you have left your hibernation for a while!
I quite agree with your excellent comment. On the one side the bookkeeping of molecules has plenty of tools to ascertain what is happening with each other in an uncorrelated way (state variables, force/mass/ energy, entropy, enthalpy, Helmholtz free energy, Gibbs free energy, etc.). But trying to synchronize their happenstances becomes daunting: tough external constraints have to be entered in order to keep a decent bookkeeping and make useful workings. And this is where the bookkeeping of life starts: building upon cycles as basic functional constraints: the work cycle of the individual enzyme, the multiple reaction cycles, the life cycle of the whole bacterium or the unicellular. In aggregate, the life cycle is the great referent of biological information, and the source of its "meaning". It is this different inner reference what makes invalid the maximum entropy principle for life--sometimes it is followed, sometimes it is just the opposite. It depends on the intertwining of external "signals" and on the advancement of the self-production process.
And with this I have already spent my "two cents" for the week...

best

--Pedro

PS. After the crash the list has more complex management (that I cannot handle very well) and message processing. People willing to check whether their messages have passed or not may directly check at: http://listas.unizar.es/pipermail/fis/