I would add another possibility -- information does not appear in the universe
until it is manipulated by modern human society as a commodity.

Yes, Stan, this makes sense to me: information (in bits) can be considered as a
measurement of the expected uncertainty. It is yet meaning-free, but it can be
provided with meaning in a system of reference – such as a discourse.

For example, {50%,50%} contains 1 bit of information. Thus, if we mix 50 euro
coins with 50 coins of a dollar or we group 50 black cats with 50 white ones,
the uncertainty is one bit of information. This does not tell us anything about
the cats themselves as in a biology.

During the recent conference in Vienna, I was amazed how many of our colleagues
wish to ground information in physics. However, the information-theoretical
evaluation seems mathematical to me. The mathematical notion of entropy is
different from the physical one. The physical one is only valid for the
physico-chemical system of momenta and energy.

When I exchange the 50 dollars into 50 euros, the expected information content
of the distribution of coins goes from one to zero bits, but this is not
thermodynamic entropy. The physics of the exchange process are external to the
informational-theoretical evaluation.

I know that you wish to express this with hierarchies. Information can be
measured at each level or as mutual information between them. But what the
information means, depends on the specific systems of reference.

Best,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Emeritus University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;