Dear John,

I am pleased to return to the discussion of two, related points in your note:
1) scientists such as Scott Muller have been motivated by empirical issues
which have produced valid results, not by dogma; 2) I am not working on
empirical problems.

My position is that my work on real problems starts where some of that on
‘empirical’ problems leaves off, and I will try to use your reference to Scott
Muller’s Asymmetry: The Foundation of Information (2007, Springer) to
illustrate this. First, I should recommend the book for its excellent summary
of the relationship between Shannon and Boltzmann entropy. I also fully agree
with Muller that “information is an objective quantity capable of relational
representation”, and that there is a material manifestation of an inverse
relationship between symmetry and entropy. However, Terrence Deacon, as we all
know, has since shown that the above thermodynamic/statistical-mechanical view
can and must be supplemented by the addition of Darwinian ‘entropy’ for real
biological systems.

I also agree with Muller when he says that probability must be an objective,
physical property and his rejection of any subjective interpretation. However,
(‘dogma’? ‘standard view’?), he states that the only legitimate scientific use
of probability is as a property of a dynamic mass system, a collective within
which some attribute may be found (Von Mises). Isolated events have no
probabilistic significance.

Such a position ignores the interaction between two or some small number of
real events or processes, in which probability must be defined differently and
has different role. I suggest that probability is a measure of their respective
capacity (potential) for subsequent actualization or potentialization. In his
discussion of causal processes that generate and destroy information, Muller
correctly relates symmetry breaking to the resolution of potentiality into
actuality but he, like Aristotle, does not see the necessity for expressing the
contrary movement. This is part of the basis of my critique of ‘it-from-bit’
and my ‘proposal’ for going beyond it.

Thank you and best regards,

Joseph