Dear Moises, Ken,  and FIS colleagues,

it is nice returning to the main discussion topic. First, I would like to reply about your point on the presence of women in FIS. Well, some of them have been involved almost from the very beginning. I will give some names: Deborah Conrad (involved in fis 1994 and 1996 conferences), Edwina Taborsky, Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic* *(well known to everybody), Zhao Chuan, Beth Cardier, Raquel del Moral, Bi Lin, Lai Ma, and some other names that I will find out during next days. It is quite insufficient a presence, but at least I think it is pretty significant.

I also want to thank Ken for his reference about citation indexes for science by Eugene Gardfield (Science, 1955). It is really a classic--indeed. I was particularly moved by the inspiration that lead him to the citation index creation. The idea came to Gardfield from the practice of the legal profession: a citation index was running for the interrelation of court cases in the 48 states of the US. Known as the Sephard citation systems, it was a listing of individual American court cases, each one with a short summary and a record of the other decisions and sentences that had referred to the case. This legal model is the origin, in 1955, of the archi famous SCI (Science Citation Index)...

The historical point to make is that the legal profession also had been a strong source of inspiration for the new scientific organization stemming out during the scientific revolution. The new experimental practices of science were examined not any more through the lens of "authority", but through open performances, in front of witnesses, tribunals, and courts. The goal was to establish a public "true" register of the new scientific facts, and finally publish them in periodical reports and transactions imitating the ones already developed by the legal profession.

The brief reflection: it is quite interesting how communication addressed to coordinate /_legal action_/ was reoriented to communicate _/scientific action/_. Clearly our social information flows, let us think on what happen with firms, within markets, etc., have but one basic goal: to coordinate the actions of individuals. It fits with some comments I made days ago, and with a parallel off-line discussion I was keeping with Howard about pan-informational views... In Faustian terms: /Information is related to action!/

Best--Pedro

PS. Thanks a lot to Moises and Ken, maybe we should think on having a conclusion in the ongoing session, rather fractured with the aftermath of the Vienna Conference.

Moisés André Nisenbaum wrote:

Hi, Bob

Thank you for presenting Ada Lovelace to the list. It was great the link you did with previous discussions.

Hi, all.

Have we ever had a discussion about why are so few women in FIS list?

I was yesterday in a seminar that shows that it is a general problem in Science, especially in "hard" disciplines. But there are many women in Mathematics and Information Science fields, so I expected more women in FIS.

This makes me remember the great speak of Neil Degrasse Tyson (3 min) on being Black and Women in Science (https://youtu.be/z7ihNLEDiuM).

What do you think about it?

All the best,

--