Dear Joe,

The semantic aspects are external to the Shannon perspective (by
definition). However, Weaver (1949) gives openings. (I discuss this
extensively in the paper at http://arxiv.org/abs/1507.05251.) "Mutual
redundancy" can be defined as a measure of the imprint of meaning processing
on the communication of information. Meaning itself cannot be measured, but
hypothesizing meaning processing enables one to specify expectations about
higher order loops.

The dimensionality remains in bits of information. The probability
distribution, however, becomes multi-variate when next-order loops are
added: instead of p(i), for example, p(ijk....)

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Emeritus University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU, University of Sussex;
Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ., Hangzhou; Visiting Professor, ISTIC,
Beijing;
Visiting Professor, Birkbeck, University of London;
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en