Dear Soren,
I will respond to your letter by adding comments below.
This will be my last entry in this discussion until next week.
Best,
Lou K.

>> Dear Lou
>> You wrote: “ I am interested in how Soren Brier will react to these, perhaps
>> seen as indirect, remarks on mind and meaning. I take thought and the realm
>> of discrimination as the start of epistemology and I do not regard the
>> immediate apparent objects of our worlds as anything but incredibly
>> decorated entities appearing after a long history of indicative shift. What
>> is their original nature? It is empty. Emptiness is form and form is
>> emptiness. The form we take to exist arises from framing nothing.”
>>
>> Answer: Can I deduce that the “we” that takes the form to exist by framing
>> nothing is also something that arose by framing nothing?
[If I were to be consistent and absolutist about these metaphors, then indeed
the we also arises by framing nothing. That is consistent with ‘I’ as a fill-in
or empty nexus.
You can ask who did that? But I say it is ungrammatical to ask the question at
the inception of a distinction where the distinction and the observer arise
together.]

>> Who did that? How do you get from your self-organizing logical thinking to
>> experiential consciousness and it’s dynamics of making distinctions from
>> cybernetics and without stipulating a philosophical framework with an
>> epistemology an ontology?
[I do not have a story to tell that shows how to get something from nothing. I
only observe that it is the case.
All creation stories have a gap at the beginning.]

>> And an anthropology?
>>
>> I do see that a theory of form is essential for you as it is for Spencer
>> Brown and Peirce as well. But Peirce is open enough to infer to a Cosmogony
>> when he writes:
>>
>> … the immaterial contained in the material. … Now the meaning of a thing is
>> what it conveys. Thus, when a child burns his finger at the candle, he has
>> not only excited a disagreeable sensation, but has also learned a lesson in
>> prudence. Now the mere matter cannot have given him this notion, since
>> matter has no notions to give. Who originated it then? It must be that this
>> thought was put into nature at the beginning of the world. It must have been
>> meant because it was conveyed. Further, what is the necessary condition to
>> matter’s conveying a notion.  It is that it shall present a sensible and
>> distinct form. … It must be sensible to be anything to us and it must be
>> distinct or distinguished to be a form to us…. Thus it is the form of a
>> thing that carries its meaning. But the same thing conveys different
>> meanings to different faculties. So there are different orders of meaning in
>> nature. The poet with his esthetic eye reads the secret of the sea. ... The
>> man of science with the eye of reason reads the secret of Nature as a
>> system. (W 1 50)

[Well, he says “this thought was put into Nature at the beginning of the World.
As I said, all creation stories have a JUMP at the beginning.]

>> When I read your cybernetic arguing I wonder how man can read the secrets of
>> nature? In CP 5.488 Peirce makes a crucial ontological distinction; namely
>> that: “all this universe is perfused with signs, if it is not composed
>> exclusively of signs”.

[I say the distinguished universe of man is perfused with signs. I find it
romantic to imagine that this is all there is. I do not know if that is all
there is. I doubt it. When you wash away all the signs then ….NOTHING IS
EVERYTHING!]

>> Only the latter idea implies Peirce’s thesis that signs are not restricted
>> to the living world, in the sense that semiosis is also at work already in
>> the pre-living development of the universe. This is what John Deely calls
>> physiosemiosis. The idea is not pansemiotic, but that signs develop within
>> cosmogony, as part of the development of the universe’s reasoning
>> capability. Thus, it accepts the physical description of the processes in
>> the early universe before life emerged, but it is not physicalist, as it is
>> encompassed in a greater semiotic cosmogony. This is not pansemiotics since
>> it only implies that the possibility of semiosis lies in physics, – but not
>> that those possibilities are realized in all physical processes.
>> Physiosemiosis explores the question of exactly where and how the
>> possibility of semiosis lies in physics. This means that the overall view of
>> evolution is the connection between man and the universe. The connection
>> between outer and inner nature was driven by the universal development of
>> semiotic reasoning in cosmogony (CP 1.615).

[I summarize all of this by saying that every distinction is accompanied by an
awareness. Every distinction is semiotic.]

> [...]
>> essentially from time in this respect that it would not necessarily be in a
>> single stream. Different flashes might start different streams, between
>> which there should be no relations of contemporaneity or succession. So one
>> stream might branch into two, or two might coalesce. But the further result
>> of habit would inevitably be to separate utterly those that were long
>> separated, and to make those which presented frequent common points coalesce
>> into perfect union. Those that were completely separated would be so many
>> different worlds which would know nothing of one another; so that the effect
>> would be just what we actually observe…
>>
>> Pairs of states will also begin to take habits, and thus each state having
>> different habits with reference to the different other states will give rise
>> to bundles of habits, which will be substances. Some of these states will
>> chance to take habits of persistency, and will get to be less and less
>> liable to disappear; while those that fail to take such habits will fall out
>> of existence. Thus, substances will get to be permanent.
>>
>> In fact, habits, from the mode of their formation, necessarily consist in
>> the permanence of some relation, and therefore, on this theory, each law of
>> nature would consist in some permanence, such as the permanence of mass,
>> momentum, and energy. In this respect, the theory suits the facts admirably.
>> (CP 1.412-15)
>>
>> Adding to this construction of categories and cosmogony, Peirce also
>> establishes his metaphysical framework based on pure mathematics,[1]
>> <x-msg://11/#_ftn1> phenomenology, aesthetics, ethics and logic as
>> semiotics. He writes in his Cambridge Lectures (Peirce 1898): “metaphysics
>> must draw its principles from logic, … logic must draw its principles ...
>> from mathematics” (Peirce 1992:123). Since all cognition, thinking and
>> communication is done with and through signs, and since the processes in the
>> natural environment (geology and ecology) work dynamically on sign
>> processes, there is no reason to suppose any limits to our knowledge on one
>> hand and on the other that we know the whole truth in any precise detail.
>> Logic is semiotics. Peirce writes:
>>
>> Logic, in its general sense, is, as I believe I have shown, only another
>> name for semiotic (σημειωτική), the quasi-necessary, or formal, doctrine of
>> signs. By describing the doctrine as “quasi-necessary”, or formal, I mean
>> that we observe the characters of such signs as we know, and from such an
>> observation, by a process which I will not object to naming Abstraction, we
>> are led to statements, eminently fallible, and therefore in one sense by no
>> means necessary, as to what must be the characters of all signs used by a
>> “scientific” intelligence, that is to say, by an intelligence capable of
>> learning by experience. As to that process of abstraction, it is itself a
>> sort of observation.         ( CP 2.227)

[You are right that i do not disagree with Peirce, not at all]
>> I do not think you disagree very much with Peirce here Lou, but I think the
>> cybernetic background you are coming from has skipped important parts of the
>> philosophical work to put up an adequate metaphysical framework.

[Naw. I am not speaking from cybernetics. What the heck is cybernetics?
I am speaking from contemplating a distinction. You could take me as an
afficianado of the Peirce Calculus written in Spencer-Brown form and influenced
by both early and late Wittgenstein. I am skeptical of cosmology. I think we
make a lot out of very little and indeed our worlds are built from our signing
and the limits of our signing are the limits of our world.]