Inclined to agree with Joseph. I would like to point out that there are different meanings for "real', and one has to be clear about ones metaphysics to make the idea (somewhat) clear. Peirce, for example, would call Plato's shadows (which aren't really shadows at all, real, but not existent. The sort of shadows that we normal experience are both real and existent on Peirce's account.

John