On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Isaac Dupree <m...@isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
> wrote:

> as you wish... I think conditional compilation for accessing Linux vs.
> Darwin /dev/ filenames makes a ton of sense. (Or use a C if() and a
> system-call that tells you which system it is, if you wish, if such a thing
> exists... it's conventional to use conditional-compilation!)  But you'll
> have to tell me, what is the exact naming convention that Darwin/OSX uses?
> (for example, is "/dev/tty1" a device-name on Darwin, or not? If not, then
> we can tell the difference just based on the names, with just a small bit of
> coding.)

Good point:  Darwin is using:

codemon...@daves-mbp ~/dotfiles> tty
/dev/ttys015

I think "ttys" may be safe to use!

> I suppose special fish environment variables could be used... make sure
> that they're initialized correctly for each system though, even if you share
> ~/.config/fish/ between a Mac and a Linux system and go back and forth...
> and it would clearly be just as much conditional as compiling it into the C
> code.  And I can tell that you're not engineering with weird hackers on
> weird embedded Linux setups in mind, so this configurability would probably
> not be useful even for dealing with that.

So, given the ttys difference -- think we should go with an env setting, or
a quick fix that works for Darwin?

 I need to get some virtual machines set up anyway, I'll try to set up a BSD
one too, to see if that breaks. . .

-Dave