Hi all,

I was doing some checks in preparation of updating the comparison on the FLAC page this summer and I thought the results might be interesting for people on the dev list as well.

Because the mentioned comparison runs a few codecs through wine I wanted to check whether wine gives a performance hit. However, the first results confused me, so I added a few other compiles. However, it became even more confounding. Please take a look at the attached PDF.

The performance of the minGW-w64 build (through wine) and the native Linux 64-bit build is similar, so I guess my original question is answered: wine doesn't affect performance. However, I tried quite a few things building a 32-bit binary on my Linux system, but they are all *very* slow. Does anyone know why? I ran ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu CFLAGS='-m32' CPPFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-m32' and tried a bunch of other things. Any thoughts?

It seems encoding benefits from the 32-bit ASM optimizations and decoding benefits from 64-bit. I hope these results are useful to someone :)