maybe it would be best to do the profiling using the code that is being performed, otherwise your results may be unreliable.

i dont know if thats possible in your case, but you could start from the bottom and work up.

run a few loops of the doSomethingEasy() and see how fast its running, if its blindingly fast assume they have a fast cpu and move up to the doSomethingHard()

martin

Alias wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm working on a project which involves reducing the amount of work done,
based on the client's CPU speed.

I'm wondering - does anyone have a tried & tested method of doing this? I'm
thinking something along the lines of:

startTime = getTimer();

//do something timeconsuming - loop 100 times, for example
speed = doSomethingTimeconsuming()

if (speed < 5){

doSomethingEasy();

} else{

doSomethingHard();

}

What I'm wondering is the doing something timeconsuming part - I need a
simple operation that will be reasonably consistent across player types - is
there any operation that *hasn't* been improved or that has always been
fast? The target player is FP6 (pre 6.65), so I need an operation that will
be consistently slow or fast on every player since then

Has anyone done this much?

Thanks in advance,
Alias

want to know what i think? probably not