I need help getting a text field to do single line-spacing under an odd circumstance.

I'm using LoadVars to read a txt file that my non-programmer client will maintain on his site. To make it more readable for him, I have it formatted like this:
---------------------------------------
myContacts=

John Doe
15 Elm St.
Newville, MD 12345

Bill Henry
23 Apple Terrace
Oldtown, ID 54321

Jo Hill
14 Walnut
Metropolis, MN 32415

etc.

This gets displayed in a text field. Problem is, Flash is double-spacing every carriage return.

I could reduce the line spacing in the text field, but I also have some text that's displayed from a constant and that text then gets sqeezed much too tight.

I don't want to ask the client to put all the text on one line, with <br> tags. Is there any other way to make the above line breaks come out single rather than double?

TIA,
Marc