A couple corrections:

1. Use && instead of || in the "if" conditional statement
2. In the "else" block, change "in" identifier to a name that isn't a
keyword (e.g. "tempInst").

function removeMofo(mc)
{
    var theD = mc.getDepth();
    if ( theD > -1  &&  theD < 1048576)
    {
        mc.removeMovieClip();
    }
    else
    {
        var tempInst = mc._parent.getInstanceAtDepth(100);
        mc.swapDepths(100);
        mc.removeMovieClip();
        if ( tempInst != null)
        {