Here's a couple of ideas:

If the image urls are fetched from an XML file, and the xml is generated dynamically, have the server write the filesize of the images into the xml. Or, if the images are added to the xml manually, add the filesize of each image to the XML.

Or, you could just display a number of total images loaded: "Loading 3 of 15" for example, instead of the total bytes loaded.

- Josh

On Mar 12, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Sascha Balkau wrote:

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the idea but this approach will not work in my case because the images are loaded sequencially. If one image is finished loading, my class starts loading the next and so on, one after one. And the amount of images varies (the image filenames are fetched from a XML file). I'm now defining a segmentWidth by dividing the full progressbar width by the amount of images that are going to be loaded. That gives me the 100% for one image on the whol bar. I just haven't figured out yet how to make it work so that the bar doesn't start from 0 at every image. Any other idea?

Sascha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Park" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Loading several images with one progressbar?

Say you have 3 images loading, use something like this:

var bytesLoaded:Number = 0;
var bytesTotal:Number = 0;

bytesLoaded += image1.getBytesLoaded();
bytesTotal += image1.getBytesTotal();
bytesLoaded += image2.getBytesLoaded();
bytesTotal += image2.getBytesTotal();
bytesLoaded += image3.getBytesLoaded();
bytesTotal += image3.getBytesTotal();

var percentageLoaded:Number = (bytesLoaded/bytesTotal) * 100;

There may be ways to optimise this code depending on your circumstances (e.g. just calculate bytesTotal once and reuse it) but this shows the basic idea.

Adrian P.