This is the same thing that I discovered on a project last year. We
even discussed the issue with Macromedia and they basically told us
that the player was not intended to run for long periods of time.

The minimize, restore does seem to work though. It seems to allow the
GC to actually release the unneeded memory back to Windows.

There was also a utility that someone on the team found that would
force it to release the memory. But it was Windows only, and we had to
support Mac so we ended up taking it out.