Html doesn't always render the bold versions of the fonts or italicized. I
think if you are using a non standard font - hence the embedding, I think
you may have better luck converting the html tags to a textFormat object
and apply it.

Someone else might totally disagree, but in the past,that is how I have
managed to get my text to the look the way i want it too. Wrestling with
text, one of the many joys.