This will give you what you're looking for:

var cols:Number = 3;
var rows:Number = 3;

for(var i:Number=0;i<rows;i++)
{
    for(var j:Number=0;j<cols;j++)
    {
         var gridLocation:Number = (i+j) + ((rows-1)*i);
         trace("grid location = " + gridLocation);
         // create your moviecilp

row by row, create a movieclip per column.

hth,

John

On 3/29/06, Flash Mel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, since my email got through this morning, I'm hoping this one gets
> through.  Here is the question I've emailed four times now.  Doesn't
> show up in the threads.
>
> Here we go:
>

> Here is what I have so far:
>
> import mx.transitions.Tween;
> import mx.transitions.easing.*;
>
> m = 0;
> numTiles = 112;
>
> function placeTiles() {
>     if (m == numTiles){
>         m = 0;
>          clearInterval(buildTiles);
>     } else {
>         _root.attachMovie("square", "tile" + m + "_mc", m, {_x:m % 14
> * 50, _y:Math.floor(m / 14) * 50});
>         myObj = "tile" + m + "_mc";
>         new Tween(_root[myObj], "_alpha", Regular.easeInOut, 0, 100, 35,
> false);
>         _root[myObj].number_text.text = m;
>         m++;
>     }
> }
>
> buildTiles = setInterval(placeTiles, 30);
>
> This works fine.  Builds the rows one after another.  But what I am
> trying to do is build one row across and one down.  Make sense?
>
> In essence, the final display and position of the objects will be:
>
> 123
> 456
> 789
>
> The sequence I am after: