Combining a few of these large project development things, I'm thinking of
experimenting with keeping the entire development suite (or as much of it as
possible) under version control. Eclipse throws a lot of ephemeral files
around....has anyone run into problems with multiple developers sharing a
development environment under subversion control? (We'd be handling any
installs that we can't shove into subversion due to registry entries or
what-have-you with a version-controlled batch file to set up environment
paths....to make sure that each computer has things in the same places.)

> From: "JesterXL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/04/05 Wed AM 09:32:28 CDT
> Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] large projects
>
> - think of using Flex instead of Flash
>
> - get a competent and accountable architect to enforce best coding practices
>
> - define standards of coding up front, and enforce those standards
>
> - use source control (Subversion, CVS, Source Safe)
>
> - use develoment servers, staging servers, and production servers.  Everyone
> should have the exact same setup such as Eclipse + JRun + ColdFusion all
> installed on their box (or whatever your setup is).  That way, everyone can
> run the app and if something doesn't work, it's the person's machine or them
> doing something wrong, and not the code.  It's ok if the actual database
> doesn't exist on the same box, although, I encourage it to be.  Staging is
> to test app before it goes to production, but not on a dev box.
>
> - time must be allocated for code-reviews and re-factoring.  This should go
> into time estimations given to client.
>
> - use a directory structure that encourages re-use of code, even from other
> projects legalities permitting.

John Mark Hawley
The Nilbog Group
773.968.4980 (cell)