Another drawback: (that might be problematic in some cases). This technique
has the "double run" problem. I mean, the flash movie might start running,
before the javascript had a change to do its magic of "replacing it".
Depending on what the flash movie is doing and timing, the result might do a
"sudden blink".

I didn't do extensive testing, but I suspect it might impact the load time
of the page since loading a flash movie in IE always seems to "hangs" the
browser for a split second. (depending on the complexity of the flash movie)
- so the "hanging time" would be doubled presumably.

I want to point out that this technique is not 100% bad. It is actually one
of the best bang-for-the-buck for existing pages. (unlike the FlashObject
which requires much more changes).  It is great for many cases - it is a
brute-force, extremely low-cost method.

B.