-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Patrick
Matte
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:19 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: [Flashcoders] File is cached or not ?

I need to know if a sound is already inside the browser's cache.

Right now I use a getTimer when I fire the loadSound and another getTimer
when the sound is loaded.

One minus the other gives me a value of 0.03 seconds if the file is in the
cache.

Do you think it would be reliable to say that the sound is cached if it
loads under 0.1 seconds ?

Do you have another idea ?

I use this sound to calculate the user's download speed and then I store the
value inside a shared object. Then if the sound is cached, I use the value
inside the shared object. And then I load lo-res or hi-res videos depending
on the bandwidth speed.