-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin Newman
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:35 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Eolas "fix" and backspace key flash bug

Tom Lee wrote:
> If you're referring to the issue I'm reporting, I'm afraid your solution
is
> not immune either.  Two out of 3 of my PCs will show the "click to
activate"
> message if you have cleared your cache and then visited your example pages
> without restarting your browser first.

If that's the case, I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it.
SwfObject should be 100% immune to the "click to activate" feature. If
it's not, I'd say its a bug in IE, and we may have no choice but to wait
for a fix from MS (it's ok, you can laugh now).

After taking a look at that link, it does sound plausible that that
could be the issue. In any case, it sounds like this bug would affect
few people, since they both have to have their system configured to see
it (by installing some combination of updates), and meet a condition
requirement (having cleared their cache, and reloaded your page without
restarting the browser).

BTW (a bit of brainstorming to follow), I wonder if there is some way to
see if the user has been to your site, and then cleared their cache and
returned without re-starting their browser - maybe by setting a session
cookie on the first visit, then checking it on subsequent visits as well
as checking the speed or download state of the Flash movie or other
Object on the page (using Object.onload, or Object.onreadystate). If
there is some way to figure out if the cache has been cleared, and this
is a detected revisit, and the object hasn't been downloaded, then
perhaps a simple refresh of the whole page after the defer or
document.onload could fix it - setting another cookie of course to
prevent endless refreshes. Of course this will not work if they delete
their cookies at the same time they empty their cache. I don't know.

Also, I apologize if what I'm saying doesn't make much sense in the face
of any evidence, I'm struggling to finish a project that has been a real
time killer, and simply haven't had the time to read all the posted
materials as thoroughly as I would have liked or conduct full tests of
suggested solutions on my own (or even set up a reliable reproduction
machine).

Kevin N.