> $11/ hr accepting that is part of the reason why people think
> they can pay developers peanuts

Here, here.

Denver is a big city comparable to L.A., where I am. And in this city, bag
boys at grocery stores are making $11/hr. Even way back in '97 when I was in
my last corporate job, it was costing us $15/hr. just to have a temp come in
and put papers in a filing cabinet. Is that how you see yourself? As
unskilled labor???

Now if the idea is just that the guy wants to check you out and make sure
you can do the work, then I might give him a few DAYS at $11/hr. and then
revert to an honest pay scale if he wants to keep you... And this assumes
that you don't have any references or much in the way of code samples to
share.

The real question then becomes 'how long is it going to take to get you up
to speed?' If the guy is thinking several months, then you would clearly be
foolish to accept that offer. If you don't respect yourself, no one else
will either... And your getting 'up to speed' could take a very long time
indeed.

Kevin