This is in the initial setup of a video player I've made:

                __video = __videoHolder.__video;
                __nc = new NetConnection();
                __nc.connect(null);
                __ns = new NetStream(__nc);
                __video.attachVideo(__ns);
                __videoHolder.attachAudio(__ns);
                __volumeControl = new Sound(__videoHolder);

__volumeControl.setVolume(0) will then mute the video.

-josh