AS3 doesn't support private constructors.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chris Allen
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:06 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: Re: [Flashcoders] Abstract classes in AS3?

For compile time checks, just use a private constructor. As
ActionScript allows one to access a private (not really private) super
constructor in a subclass this works perfectly. At least this is what
I do when I need an Abstract class in ActionScript.

E.G.

class com.tomsnyder.fasttmath2.studentclient.activities.tasks.AbstractTask
{
       //private constructor to discourage instantiation
        private function AbstractTask() {
                //initialization code here

Now there's no way to instantiate it, and the compiler will bitch
about it if you try.

I hope that helps.

-Chris