Are you simply opening the SWF file directly, or loading it into a wrapper
SWF?

If you're loading it directly... it's just

_root.var1
_root.var2

If you're loading it into a wrapper, like so:

_root.myClip.loadMovie("path/to/my/movie.swf");

once it loads, you'll be able to access the data with:

_root.myClip.var1
_root.myClip.var2

Make sure your movie has loaded.  Use the MovieClipLoader class and assign
an onLoad handler to access the variables.

-rc