Gregory,

The latest Flash IDE is the Flash 8 IDE.

The latest Flash Player is Flash Player 9.

The Flash 9 IDE is currently in public alpha test, and can be downloaded from http://labs.adobe.com/ (You need a valid Flash 8 IDE serial number to run it though). The new IDE is expected to be released early 2007 as far as i heard, and supports AS3 as well as AS1 and 2.

Then there is Flex Builder 2 and the Flex 2 SDK, which were released recently.

The Flex 2 SDK is free, you can download it from the Adobe site. It contains the Flex 2 framework, AS3 and MXML commandline compilers and a commandline debugger.

The Flex Builder 2 is an Eclipse based IDE that allows you to develop in AS3 and in MXML (or a combination thereof). Both can't be used to develop in AS1 and 2.

Flex Builder 2 and the Flex 2 SDK tend to target software developers, whereas the Flash 9 IDE tends to target designers (allthough the line is becoming blurry).

Cheers,
Claus.

ps: seems labs.adobe.com is down at the moment, or is it just me?

GregoryN wrote:

Hello Flashcoders,

I'm a bit confused with waterfall of all these new terms :-).
Can't find all answers at the Adobe site so far...

As far as I can judge, current Flash version is 8, but
- on product and Version Penetration pages it's 8
- latest Flash Player offered is v.9
- you're discussing AS3 and even Flash 9 IDE here in the list

So, can anyone clarify the current situation with Flash versions?
What about expected in the nearest future (till the end of 2006)?

Please excuse me if this question seems dumb for you.