From what I know (And I am no expert on the Flash Player). The way the JIT process works, not everything is actually always JITed. Bytecode that is executed once may not tget JITed at all. But code that is accessed multiple times or deemed as a performance botleneck will get JITed. The main motivation behind this would be to reduce application perceived performance by interpreting some code rather than Jitting which would alleviate the user from having to wait for the JIT process to complete. This is most apparent on application startup where if the user had to wait for everything to go through the entire JIT process, things would just seem slow. You see this with the Java runtime although Sun has improved this over time.

HTH

Chafic
----
http://www.rewindlife.com

On Aug 21, 2006, at 5:40 PM, David Rorex wrote:

On 8/21/06, Martin Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Does the compiled code get recompiled during runtime to machine code
>> (like a JIT compiler) or does it get interpreted?
>
> Some Adobe presentation on the subjet was saying that all the code get
> JIT'ed, except the $iinit and $cinit functions which are the one
> defining the classes and initializing their static variables.

I just read that the other day and was wondering why?

Personally I cant really think of why constructors and initialization should be interpreted and not JIT'ed but im sure someone can think of good reasons.

Perhaps because they are only run once? From what I understand, JIT is
a small penalty the first time, then each successive use is sped up.
If there are no successive uses, then it will be a net loss to use
JIT.