you'd need some way of checking for circular references like Scott pointed
out.  Believe me when I say - i've been down that road several times with
Xray.

var obj = new Object();
obj.prop1 = new Object();
obj.prop1.prop2 = new Object();
obj.prop1.prop2.ref = obj.prop1;

bingo, you'e into 256 levels of recursion error.  And no, it's not far
fetched ;)

alternative:
Keith Peters Debug:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/osflash/xray/browser/DEV_Source/xray/classes/com/bit101/Debug.as

I switched out xray's trace for Keiths just a couple of weeks ago because it
worked on a per level basis for dispatching traces (rather than on big bulk
of data) and it's really clean/readable code.

You could alter it in no time to "clone" and object.  However,
mx.utils.ObjectCopy would work just fine ;)

On 8/24/06, Steven Sacks | BLITZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Careful with circular references. Pretty easy to get that one in to
> exceed the 256 recursion limit.

Feel free to post an alternative.  :)

[  JPG  ]