Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
Several important differences between Screenweaver HX and Apollo :

- size : SWHX takes 450 KB. Apollo is expected to be in the 5-9 MB range

Sure, but Apollo is a global runtime isn't it?

- extensibility : SWHX is extensible with custom-made C libraries. Apollo is not

How does that work with cross platform applications?

- open source : SWHX is open source. If you get a bug, simply report it and it should be fixed in terms of days. If it's critical for you, you'll not have to wait the next big release since you can recompile the sources.

With respect, were I to present a paying client with a choice between a platform developed by a known entity and one developed by a couple of guys in their spare time, 9/10 they're going to pick the former. Fortunately the Screenweaver name has gained awareness and is closing that gap slowly.

- API : Apollo 1.0 does not have databases planned. From SWHX you can already access a big number of haXe APIs, including SQLite an MySQL databases.

The edges start to blur for me here.. I can't think of many scenarios where I'd write an application these days that accessed a database directly. SQLite is an advantage, especially for offline support, but aside from that I'll stick to a service architecture.

I don't know how we got into this, because I think SWHX is a great idea with oodles of potential, it's just not right for me in the long run ;-)