Dan,

I can not answer your specifc questions, so I hope that others will jump in
and add their voices along with details about how they manage the problems
you described.

I just want to comment generally that Subversion is the successor to CVS.
You can find full documentation here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If you are going to use open source version control, I will hazard to say
that Subversion can not be beat.

For automation, I believe that Subversion integrates well with Ant.

hth,