sure it does (xray) - it has a logger too and it includes a timestamp (which
trace does not) - so, I would say it's actually a bit stronger of a tool for
timing issues ;)

I got $20 that says he figures out the problem in under 10 minutes with
xray.

:)

On 9/28/06, Brian Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A trap I often fall into when debugging flash is missing the
obvious.  Take
for example,

> If I put movieclip._y = 60 , it works fine
> If I put movieclip._y = textField._height , it doesn't work fine....

and then

> trace(textField._height) prints 60, yes.

then my question would be - did you trace at the same point in time that
set
_y? i.e. does your code look like

trace(textField._height);
movieclip._y = textField._height;

if that prints 60, and the movieclip ends up at 0, then what that means,
most likely, is that you set it 60, but then set it to 0 somewhere else.
I've often lost an hour trying to debug similar issues.  "It traces out to
something and I set it to that, but it doesn't work".  Well, maybe it did,
and then some other point of the code changes the _y value.  Or you had a
typo, etc.

Maybe the textField's height is 60 once it has text in it, but you're
setting the y position before you put in the text. And so on.

Xray is a great tool for inspecting the program's run-time state, but it
doesn't help as much with debugging timing dependencies.

--Brian

[  JPG  ]