I'd second two earlier opinions, plus a few other ideas.

1. You could get a JSFL component written to translate the FLA content to a different structure.

2. You could look at the SVG renders for Flash/SWF; then the drawing could be in a different tool and exported or saved as SVG.

3. With extra work the drawing could be done as a set of internal movieclip objects which could then be manipulated by actionscript with out having to use the drawing API.

Ben wrote:
You see, you would have been using AS to perform all those commands in the
first place. ie. lineTo, moveTo... etc.

Scott

the lines are first created directly onto the stage using the Flash IDE (not
ActionScript) eg the line, circle, box tools from the tools palette on the
left side of the workspace.

then these shapes are (somehow - this is the bit I don't know) converted
into their API equivalents (lineTo, curveTo, beginFill, endFill etc)

I'm sure it would be possible to write a "drawing" program using the API
which allows the user to create lines and fills and edit them, but this
seems like a HUGE waste of time since there is already an absolutely perfect
drawing program inside Flash itself...