William Sanders has a nice tutorial up on Adobe's Dev Center about creating a video player using OOP and the State Pattern.

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmediaserver/articles/video_state_machine_as3.html>

Also, a great book to pick up if you want to start learning OOP is Head First Design Patterns. It's written for Java but don't let that deter you. You should follow along just fine if you know AS syntax.

Cheers,
James

James O'Reilly  —  Consultant
Adobe Certified Flash Expert
http://www.jamesor.com
Design • Code • Train

Marlon Harrison wrote:
I need to develop an on-demand video player that includes a category browser so that users can view a list of videos from a particular category (cooking,
for example) or the user can create their own playlist of videos.  My
previous flash experience has been with procedural based actionscripting and
I'm having a difficult time determining where to begin in planning out an
OOP approach. I've picked up a few OOP/Actionscript books form Friends of
Ed, and the two Moock books, but I'm still a little unsure on where/how to
begin to make it as modular as possible. I could really use a 'how &
why'-type description if anyone's so inclined…

Thanks!