Here is another good article to help you understand XML and Flash:
http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/9/1/XML-101/Page1.html

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott
Haneda
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:59 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Noob, basic questions on actionscript,
withmethodology suggestions

> Hi,
>
>     You will need to move external_xml.load call below the onLoad
> function because your file will probably be loaded before the handler is
> defined (locally).
>
>     with trace(myXML) you have defined "myXML" inside the function -
> this means it is not in scope outside the function.  Try:
>
>   var external_xml:XML = new XML();
>
>    //trace if loaded, or not
>   external_xml.onLoad = function(success:Boolean) {
>     if (success) {
> trace("xml loaded successfully.");
> //Do something with the XML in here.
>     }  else {
>       trace("xml failed to load.");
>     }
>  };
>
> //variable loads external XML file afterwards
> external_xml.load("example1.xml");
>
> trace(external_xml);

Thanks, and if my XML looks like this:
Load in this XML file:
<camps sport="Tennis">
    <state name="California" cc="3" url="a"/>
    <state name="Oregon" cc="13" url="b"/>
    <state name="Washington" cc="2" url="c"/>
</camps>

What would be the best way to get myself a set of accessible variables in
which I can call out a state name, and get  the two remaining parameters?