Hi - I had this same question a while back and never really found an
answer via the list. What I ended up doing works very well, if what you
want to do is get the first frame of the video to be the image.

You can see the end result it in action here:
http://www.fotoko.com/?str=1N%3D%2A%5C%3BKLP6R%3DT3%5BB%2E1R%0Dpy%1B

The biggest issue I personally had with this was getting the video to
stop loading / downloading after the first frame had loaded (but there
is a command to do this - stream.close()) - just make sure you do that
because if you are loading multiple videos with the first frame as a
preview, you don't want them to all be downloading at the same time in
their entirety just for the sake of that one frame.

I can send you the code if you like and below is the email I sent to the
list back then outlining the solution.

Regards,

Jason.

Just wanted to follow up on my findings regarding multiple video streams
(progressive streams). I had 2 issues:

1)      I was noticing that having more than 3-4 videos on the stage at
once, greatly slowed down the Flash movie performance i.e. other vector
animations on the stage (even if the videos are not playing).

2)      How to create thumbnails for the video files.

It turns out, the 2 are actually connected.

Using stream.close() seems to be the way to solve these problems - so I
start to stream the video and close() it as soon as the first frame has
arrived (using onMeta and time/fps to pick up on when this has
happened). This allows me to create a thumbnail for each of the videos
on stage, whilst not needing to have the stream open and slowing the
movie down.

Works very nicely, if you want to see the final result in action:

http://www.fotoko.com/?str=1N%3D%2A%5C%3BKLP6R%3DT3%5BB%2E1R%0Dpy%1B

Note - make sure to close() when users stop the video too (I still need
to add vid controls, but the video is close()'d when the video is
restored to thumbnail view).

Cheers to those that helped and I hope this comes in useful for other
that experience similar problems!

Jason.