Haha fair enough.  Just understand that my tone was playful and did not
illicit a smartass response.  You do make some good points as to the uses of
a cert, but I'm still not sure that makes it worth much...with a Flash cert,
I'm not going to demand the same respect as with a 4 year degree.  There is
no comparison there.  And the other things seem as though they could be
accomplished by actually DOING something with Flash, not just learning
definitions.  If you have a hiring manager who can BS enough to learn some
definitions, and a potential hire than can BS enough to learn some
definitions, what have you got in the long run?
I will digress and recognize the validity of a cert in some instances, but I
still think it's hopping over a low bar.

Cheers!

hi jordan,

  now do you feel better? now that you got that off your chest and out in
the open?  certifications are worthless.

  unless ...

  -- you are a newbie, and you are not even sure you are worthy
of  calling yourself a Flash developer. trust me, if you can pass
this  exam, you do know stuff. keep going.
-- you are a non-technical  hiring manager. yeah, you can just take the
candidate's word for it  that they know Flash. but i also definitely
recommend that you look at  their portfolio, and even more importantly check
their references (to  be sure that it is their portfolio). but if you are
lazy and you can  check that they passed an exam, at least that is better
than nothing.
  -- you have a salary job for a big bureaucratic corporation, and
hell  if you know why, but if you pass the exam they will give you a
pay  raise.
  -- you or your employer partner with Adobe and passing the exam is a
requirement for your continued employment.
  -- or it is a choice between college and the real world. heck
a  certification exam is $150.  4 year college degree $150,000

  i have never met a subject matter expert that doesn't disdain the
whole  notion of certification exams. i guess it is not unlike neither
bill  gates nor steve jobs having college degrees. but hey, they still
hire  people that do.

enough babble from me. technical  certifications exist. i took them. my
passing them in no way makes me a  better flashcoder than you or steve. nor
does it make me worse ;-)

  Now same to you, let's get back to playing nice with the other kids here
in the Flash playground :-)

  Best wishes to you and yours this holiday season!

Jordan Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I don't agree with the
smartassitude, but perhaps what Steven is  insinuating is that proving that
you know some syntax does not prove  that you can actually do anything with
it. I'm not at the epicenter of  the Flash Universe and I think the cert is
worthless. Is that a better  way to put it? ;)

Cheers!

Jordan Snyder
Applications Developer
Image Action LLC