Do you and your coworker have the same permissions on your machine?
For instance, if your coworker is an administrator but you're a
restricted user that could explain different installations.

My first try would be to completely uninstall Flash and then reinstall
it (I had some really weird problem with flash a few months ago where
I had to do this 4 or 5 times before it worked).

Trying it myself, Flash does not appear in the Downloaded Program
Files directory (where the "View Objects..." thing takes you).  The
file IE is using is at:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx

On my other machine with Flash 9, the ocx file is in the same place
(just called Flash9b.ocx), though I do have a "Shockwave Flash Object"
entry in the downloaded program files directory.

The only difference between these two machines is that on the Flash8
one I'm not an admin (Debugger User), while on the other one I am.

  -Andy