Is there any way to allow the user to select an image file on their local machine and then load the image directly into a SWF running in a browser
from a remote server without using any server-side script?

I have a need to do this also - to alow a user to select one of their own images to use within a swf.

I haven't found any neat way but I've played around with a two-step approach as follows..

1. Use FileReference class to browse then upload a file to a remote server. 2. Use loadClip to then download that image from the remote site to the swf.

I've had it work occasionally, but haven't managed to get it reliable and in any case it's a real clunky approach.

If anyone has anything that really works I'd love to know about it.

David