ok....i just realized you said that would be a pain in your original
message. sorry...i am tired.

how many elements do you have? a hitArea for each one does seem like a
simpler way to go....or maybe i'm just tired.

On 2/7/07, John VanHorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

cant you just use hitArea and make a transparent vector shape "hit state"
for each visual element?

On 2/7/07, Dave Wood < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to detect mouse events on a movieclip's non-white content
> rather than it's bounding rectangle even where the contents are
> bitmap based.
>
> I'm putting together an activity for kids where they create a piece
> of art by dragging and dropping visual elements onto their canvas,
> then they can subsequently select these elements to move them, resize
> them, rotate, delete them etc.
>
> The user must be able to accurately select these elements even when
> they are overlapping – so long as a movieClip is partially visible,
> it needs to be selectable. The problem of course is that the
> movieClips are responding to mouse events as soon as the mouse enters
> their bounding rectangle.
>
> The items they drag are sourced from photographic material and need
> to remain as bitmap–based movieClips. They are a collection of
> everyday items: fruit, plants, vehicles, people etc and currently
> they are imported as PNGs with an alpha channel.
>
> One option would be to make a vector graphic version of every single
> graphic, have that layered behind in each clip and have that detect
> the mouse events – but what a pain! There has to be a simpler way?
>
> I guess I need seomething like a background transparent blending mode
> – but there isn't one:(
>
> I'm sure others have tackled this problem. Anyone?
>
> David

John Van Horn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--