Hi Kent,
  The other way to export XML would be to use a SWF wrapper such as
mProjector, SWFStudio or (open-source) SWHX: http://www.haxe.org/swhx.
(Zinc is another alternative, but I can't recommend it - I've had all
sorts of stability issues with it.)

  Alternatively, Apollo (from Adobe) will be out sometime this year.

 Basically all these tools provide a container for a Flash app that
lets Flash request writing/reading of external local files (amongst
many other features).

Hope that's helpful,
  Ian