> Hi Nik,
>
> I have done research for my dad a while ago, and I came to
> the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort $$$ wise.
> > Not sure whether that is applicable to your project, Pete, but has
> > anyone ever used dongle (i.e. hardware) protection for
> their projects?
> > I am currently testing out HASP from Aladdin, and does the
> job so far
> > (have not come very far yet in testing though).
> Yes, the problem with dongles is that it's quite hard to
> implement, right.
> Especially, I would like to advice you not take any of the
> included examples or even consider build on top of it. The
> examples are weak. Please rent some person who is fully into
> the dongle and encryption. If not, it will be lost money.
>
> > What do you guys think about this kind of protection? Why isn't it
> > used more often?
> Because it's a big investment to implement.

Absolutely - distribution costs, particularly, especially as each dongle has
to be unique. We've decided against using them for this reason.

I think there are also cultural differences, though. Some of our
international partners insist that dongle protection is the most common form
in their countries. A lot depends on reliability of internet access for
systems based on online activation (the only other method that seems
genuinely secure).

Danny