You don't send passwords to paypal. Just the transaction details (item
numbers, quantities, and prices) and your paypal address. The user enters all
the secure stuff on the paypal site so you don't have to mess with that. The
transaction you get from paypal only includes the user's info (name, email, and
snailmail address) and details about the transaction (items purchased,
quantities, and price). There's no way for me to sneakily charge extra money
from one of my buyers' accounts.

As for security the other way (i.e. people faking a purchase to you), there's a
verify step. When paypal first contacts you to tell you that somebody bought
something, they send you a key, which is a big string of random characters. You
send this key to Paypal's verification-server, and it sends you back a
"VERIFIED" or "NOT VERIFIED". If you get a "VERIFIED", then you can be sure
that the transaction came from Paypal.

Again, the sample-code takes care of all of this. Most of your paypal solution
will involve downloading their sample code in your favorite server language
(PHP, Perl, CF, etc) and modifying it to serve your needs.

Google checkout is similar, security-wise, although it's entirely XML-based and
requires an encrypted connection so you can't talk to it directly from Flash
(at least not easily). In my case, I talk to a little piece of PHP on my site
that sends the transaction to Google Checkout, because PHP has all the
secure-connection stuff built in.

One nice thing Google Checkout adds is that buyers can hide their emails from
sellers. I've gotten a couple of these with game purchases. Instead of the
user's real email address, I get something like "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". This email
forwards to the buyer, but only for a limited time. That way buyers don't have
to worry about getting spammed by sellers after the fact.