The documentation is rather lacking - but it's relatively easy once you
struggle through your first project.
The best thing that's happening right now, beyond just the core PV3D code, are
all the demos people are putting together with source code released.

It's really tough just doing a tweak->compile->wait->repeat especially with AS3
taking so long to compile. I've pulled many hairs out no doubt.

Yes - you can position sprites/MCs in 3d space. You can essentially apply
anything that is an asset in the library as a texture, bitmap at least. I've
seen a demo or two with animated materials as well. As far as I can tell you
can make parts of a model clickable. I've seen a couple demo's that will
highlight the wireframe "outline" of the specific triangle you're mouse is
"over" in 3D space, which would imply you can click on it.

Give it a try if you have the time! I'd suggest messing around with the AS3
version.

--
Jim Palmer ! Mammoth Web Operations