you're a STAR Jesse.
absolutely perfectly clean and simple!!

thnks a million, I had spent a lot of time trying to find a solution based
on knowledge I already had, but i simply did not know enough.

Again, thanks,

Ben

On 6/5/07, Jesse Graupmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

//
//
//      VERSION 1
//
//

var xspace = 20;
var yspace = 20;
var xmax = 400;
var row = 0;
var col = 0;
var len = 10;

for ( var i = 0; i < len; i ++ )
{
        var depth = this.getNextHighestDepth();
        var t = this.attachMovie ( "box", "box_" + i, depth );

        var nx = ( t._width + xspace ) * col;
        if ( nx > xmax )
        {
                col = 0;
                ++row;
                nx = ( t._width + xspace ) * col;
        }

        var ny = ( t._height + yspace ) * row;
        ++col;

        t._x = nx;
        t._y = ny;
}

//
//
//      VERSION 2
//
//

var xspace = 20;
var yspace = 20;
var width = xspace + 30;
var height = yspace + 30;
var rows = 5;
var len = 10;

for ( var i = 0; i < len; i ++ )
{
        var depth = this.getNextHighestDepth();
        var t = this.attachMovie (  "box", "box_" + i, depth );
        var col = (i % rows);
        var row = (Math.floor( i/rows ));
        t._x = width * col;
        t._y = height * row;