Someone asked me the other day, why the Sound class function
computeSpectrum()  returns specifically 512 floating point values.

I know it returns 256 values for the left and right channels and that each
value is a 32-bit floating point value of 4 bytes, but despite alot of
Googling, I could find no explanation as to why it's 512 values (rather
than 30 or 200,000). Maybe it's a audio specification, maybe it's a number
the Adobe Flash team decided arbitrarily was sufficient to represend the
sound frequencied.

Does any one posses this knowledge?

Flashcoder.net