Hi Mike,

   you've hit on an interesting dilema. Most Flash developers are to a
greater degree, self taught. This is both a blessing and a curse. The
skill level, and by extension, the development methodologies put in to
practice in the real world range from basic, timeline procedural, to
over engineered, pattern based pedantic dogma OO. I'd recommend
pragmatism. There are a number of excellent books on Actionscript and
OO methodologies and actionscript and patterns. Given the nature of
Flash, the need to enforce strict pattern based solutions is limited
but the need to enforce good OO best practices and code is essential. I
personally can't say I have ever come across a holy grail actionscript
OO site, but there are many good blogs out there that cover the info
you will need (there just a bit scattered). The best advise I can give
you is to google what you're looking for - like the rest of us ;) lol

But if you want to try blogs, then here's a couple of reliable ones:

Grant Skinner         - http://www.gskinner.com/blog/
Colin Moock           - http://www.moock.org/
Keith Peters          - http://www.bit-101.com/blog/
Aral Balkan           - http://aralbalkan.com/
Guy Watson            - http://www.flashguru.co.uk/
Richard Leggett       - http://www.richardleggett.co.uk/blog/index.php

There are many many others, but that should keep you going for a while.
Incidentally, if you're interested in teaching actionscript in a games
environment, you could do worse than have a look at the Nintendo Wii's
flash support. It's pretty easy and well documented on line in many sites.
It'd certainly make it popular and topical for the class and give you an
excuse to get a Wii in.

Sean
www.flashcoder.net/blog