At 11:43 PM -0700 8/19/07, Steven Sacks wrote:
>If these students have no experience programming, you just can't start
>with OOP.  They have no foundation to understand the concepts.  You have
>to walk before you can run, and OOP is definitely runners territory.
>Students with no programming experience are barely crawling.  Arrays,
>Strings, Objects, Functions, Variables - these things are your first
>steps.  You can't learn those while learning about Classes, Inheritance,
>  and Design Patterns.  Those things are based on solid foundations.

This has been my experience teaching beginning programming to designers and
artists. You would be surprised at how many people have problems grasping
abstract concepts like objects or arrays, or translating their
understanding of conditional logic, objects and the rest from their
experience of the real world to the abstract world of code.

--Roy