[p e r c e p t i c o n] wrote:

> i guess it depends on where you begin...i think special attention has to
be
> paid to as1's ability to add variables and function dynamically

I agree with most everything you say, but that's where we'll have to agree
to disagree. I think the ability to add variables and functionality
dynamically is AS1's weakest point as far as OOP implementation. I can think
of no easier way to break encapsulation. But I do agree that it's very
powerful, much like Darth Vader ;-)

> everyone i know who came over from lingo has had a very hard time with
actionscript

Except me ^_^

With apologies to all my Director friends on this list, I find ActionScript
a far superior OOP model than Lingo. The only problems I'm having are with
Flash itself, not AS. The standard set--scope, components, depths.

> oddly, i  couldn't learn lingo...i tried several times and never quite
> caught on...

It took me years to become truly proficient. Even after 10 years doing
mostly Director, there are still things that I haven't explored.

> all in all i too am biased towards the class model, but when people ask me
> if they should learn c or c++ first i always say learn c first...

I feel the same way. C gives you a feeling for the nitty-gritty of the
computer. I use C++ now, but I did a lot of C first (and Assembler before
that). Can you imagine writing a C library to display Chinese characters on
English Windows 3.1? I would have died if it hadn't been for Paetzold.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson