Make a BitmapData object that will be your thumbnail.

Make a temp object that will do your scaling.

Load each segment (one at a time) into this temp object and scale it down.

Then copy the scaled down segment into your final thumbnail BitmapData
object, placing each segment correctly as you go.

You could do this as part of your process as you load each segment in.

Charles P.