To: "Flash Coders List" <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] MultiLanguage

Hi,

Look at using the "Strings Panel" - it's in FL8, probably in CS3. This lets you attach an ID to all your text fields, etc. and define languages in XML. The help has more in depth stuff about this, but that is a good start.

You may also want to ensure all your translation is done before the designer starts, otherwise they might start getting stressed when you ask them to resize a button for German, etc.

   Glen

Geografiek wrote:
Hi Dave,
I would ask the designer to put all the text in dynamic textFields (and fill them w3ith dummy text). You can than adress these TextFields and fill them with text from a database at runtime, depending on a 'language' flag.
HTH,
Willem van den Goorbergh

Op 21-jan-2008, om 13:26 heeft Dave Mennenoh het volgende geschreven:

I may be doing an app that has to be deployed in various languages, and I'm trying to find a good method of doing it. I guess my main issue is that the interface is Flash, and would be created by a designer. Content is pretty much all external, but things like button text, tool tip text, etc. are put in place by the designer.

I'd thought of just making different interface 'shells' for the various languages, but that'd be more difficult to maintain. What'd be perfect is language plugins but then I'm not quite sure on how to handle sizing problems - especially with certain languages like chinese.

Just looking for some guidance.

Dave -
Head Developer
http://www.blurredistinction.com
Adobe Community Expert
http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

Geografiek is a Dutch, Utrecht-based map and chart design company.
Willem van den Goorbergh can be contacted by telephone: (+31)30-2719512 or cell phone: (+31)6-26372378
or by fax: (+31)302719687
snail mail: Hooghiemstraplein 89 3514 AX UTRECHT
Visit our website at: http://www.geografiek.nl

Glen Pike
01736 759321
www.glenpike.co.uk <http://www.glenpike.co.uk>