To: "Flash Coders List" <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Resizing a background image only.And keeping aspectratio.

It could be cleaner, but here we go:

private function onStageResize(e:Event):void {
  var picRatio:Number = picture_mc.width/picture_mc.height;
  var stageRatio:Number = stage.stageWidth/stage.stageHeight;
  if(picRatio > stageRatio){
     picture_mc.width = stage.stageWidth;
     picture_mc.height = picture_mc.width/picRatio;
  } else {
     picture_mc.height = stage.stageHeight;
     picture_mc.width = picture_mc.height*picRatio;

Kenneth Kawamoto
http://www.materiaprima.co.uk/

Vlado Krempl wrote:
Hello everyone,

Question:  (Using actionscript 3)
How to scale just the background image (photograph) fullscreen in the browser but still keep it's aspect ratio. All the solutions on the internet seem to still be in Actionscript 2. I'm using the code below -

stage.addEventListener(Event.RESIZE, onStageResize);
 function onStageResize(event:Event):void {

picture_mc = ???? }

I've tried stage.stagewidth and scaleX = stage.width; but they all distort the image when resized.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

Vlado